Monday, May 6, 2013

Electrical Nightmares

When I bought the bike, the owner had put an inline switch to the low beam headlight so it could be switched off durring the day to save battery (from earlier posts: the stator wouldn't charge the battery).  As I was putting things back together, and trying to clean things up. I decided to do away with the ugly indicator box between my two gauges.  I decided it was important to keep the indicators though so I went hunting for a discrete place to hide the parts.  I knew there was room under the fuse box, so I sat down and did some thinking about how I could stash it al there.  I had already removed the old fuses and replaced it with a custom fuse setup that allowed the typical easy to find blade fuses, so there was plenty of space under here now.
I ordered up a bunch of LEDs and consulted the wiring diagram, to solder up a new design.  On a small project board from RadioShack, I rebuilt the light box with a few resistors to match the specs of the original box and not burn out my LEDs.  While I had the whole unit apart, I also powder coated the hardware with the matching white of the tank and fenders. (picture to come)
Everything looked nice but there was an odd gap between the gauges, so with the help of TechShop and my brother who had taken the water jet class, I designed a new bracket that had mounts exactly where I needed them and got a perfect fitting piece.  I'll try and post a picture of the finished set up in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment